Illegal money lending
Credit providers and money lenders must be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.Illegal money lenders, often called loan sharks, operating in London should be reported to the Illegal Money Lending Team (IMLT), a National Trading Standards service. The team was created to combat the activities of loan sharks and will be funded by a levy on the financial sector from April 2017.
What is a loan shark?A loan shark is someone who lends money without a required authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority. They are unlikely to give any paperwork and if payments are missed they often use intimidation and violence to get money from their 'clients'. The Illegal Money Lending Team is here to help. If you have any information, however small, on loan shark activities they can help:
- Have you been offered a cash loan?
- Have you been threatened when you couldn't pay?
- Has your bank card been taken from you as a security?
- Does what you owe keep growing even though you are making payments?
Report itIf you, or anyone you know, is experiencing any of the above or has any knowledge of loan shark activities then contact the team in confidence anytime, any day.
- Telephone: 0300 555 2222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text to: loan(space)shark(space) + your message to 60003